We’re Small Apparel from Portland, Oregon, and we create well designed, super comfy graphic clothes for kids and babies.
As I’m excitedly writing this review, I’m thinking about our family’s upcoming trip to see a play this Sunday at The Paramount Theatre here in Austin called Elephant and Piggie’s We Are In A Play! This production is based on the Elephant & Piggie children’s books series by Mo Willems. I love it when books and the arts come together, so this is a perfect event for my family. I am also excited to tell you about a Portland, Oregon based children’s clothing company called Small Apparel that happens to bring our love of reading children’s books into another art form; tee-shirts! And, boy, how I am so happy to that little Brie will be wearing a Small Apparel design that not only features Willems name, but a fantastic list of children’s authors with the reminder for families to “KEEP READING!”
Small Apparel is a clothing company that should be supported for it’s well designed unisex tees for kids that feature positive messages and great designs. Is it too much to ask for clothes for our kids that are well designed, high quality, clever, and affordable? No, it’s not! On top of that, Small Apparel is committed to giving back to non-profits that help educate children. After all, your kids deserve better! Right now, Small Apparel is having a Kickstarter Campaign to continue to grow their line and vision to help children and their communities, which I’ll link to below. My all-time favorite tee by Small Apparel is, of course, called the “AUTHORS” Kids t-shirt and toddler Brie will be sporting her super comfy and adorable Small Apparel shirt after seeing the Mo Willems play based on his Elephant and Piggie series this weekend. Whooo hoooo! Because I like to talk about children’s literature and the importance of reading, I’m going to discuss each author on the shirt (which I think is brilliant), talk about the Small Apparel Kickstarter Campaign and company, and give you links on how you can support and purchase their apparel. Enjoy and KEEP READING!
- 100% jersey cotton
- Durable ribbed neckband
- AMAZING children’s authors all in one tee!
Let’s go down the list of the author’s mentioned on this tee:
- Beatrix Potter: Helen Beatrix Potter wrote a total of 23 books, many of them still in print total. The Tale of Peter Rabbit is one of the most beloved of all books for children and her most popular book. She was an English author who also illustrated her own books, but she was also a natural scientist and conservationist. Her books have been translated to many different languages, and have been retold on the stage, on film, in animation, and even through ballet.
- H.A. Rey: Two words: Curious George! H.A. Rey worked closely with his wife and together they wrote dozens of books and were most well known for their collaboration on the Curious George series. The very first Curious George book became an instant success. Initially they thought they’d use watercolor for the illustrations of these books, but because they were inevitably responsible for the color separation, they chose to stick with the cartoon-like drawings that are now so easily identifiable as being from this beloved series.
- Dr. Seuss (born Theodor Geisel): What else can I say about Dr. Seuss that hasn’t already been said? Born in Springfield, Massachusetts, on March 2, 1904, Geisel published his first children’s book, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, in 1937, after 27 publishers rejected it. AMAZING! However, his slow start to publishing quickly faded and Dr. Seuss was the winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1984, an Academy Award, three Emmy Awards, three Grammy Awards, and three Caldecott Honors! In total, Geisel wrote and illustrated 44 books. Theodor Geisel died on September 24, 1991, and Dr. Seuss continues to lives on, inspiring generations of children of all ages to explore the joys of reading.
- Margaret Wise Brown: There are not many parents who haven’t heard or read Brown’s most famous books, Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. However, may are surprised to learn that despite their contemporary feel they both were written by Brown in the 1940s! Her books are one of the first examples of children’s bedtime stories and have become synonymous with children’s literature. Amazingly, Brown’s books are still being issued as re-releases with brand new illustrations and when Ms. Brown passed away in 1952, more than 70 manuscripts were found. Wow!
- Mo Willems: Mo Willems is a wonderful and unique character that writes children’s books that are perfect for the whole family. When Willems graduated from college, he set off and spent a year traveling around the world. Each day he drew a different cartoon, all of which were eventually published in the book You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons. He was a writer and animator for Sesame Street and earned 6 Emmy Awards during his 9 year career with them. He does a variety of work in animating and children’s writing and is well known for a variety of his popular children’s series. He is probably most famous for the series of Pigeon picture books, such as Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!.
So now that you know about all the authors mentioned on this tee, isn’t it time you bought one for your kiddos?! Don’t stop there, though, help contribute to the Small Apparel Kickstarter campaign so they can continue to offer smart and comfy tees for kids that are smart and adorable for our littles to wear. I’m on board!
Kickstarter Campaign! Small Apparel is running a Kickstarter right now and if this campaign is successful (fingers crossed), Small Apparel will be able to decrease their production costs significantly, allowing them to give 25% of our profits, until their end of time, to various deserving non-profits. HOLY MOLY, indeed!
About Small Apparel: Small Apparel is a family run, tiny business (Amanda, Ryan & Calvin) in Portland, Oregon that creates well designed, super comfy graphic clothes for kids and babies. They work with different charities every season (such as Ecology in Classrooms & Outdoors), and 25% of our profits go to those charities. Awesome.
List Price: $ Varies. Children’s tee $24.99